Veterans Using Benefits for the First Time

Veteran Using Benefits For the First Time

  1. Complete the admission process with OTC.
  2. To apply for your GI Benefit, complete VA form 22-1990. This link will take you to the VA website and the VONAPP application system. Be sure to select submit.
  3. Submit your DD-214 (Member-4 copy) and any other related documents, such as kicker contracts to OTC’s Certifying Official.  If you are a Reservist, please submit a copy of your DD-2304 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).
  4. To get the most credit possible for military training, submit a copy of your military transcript.  You may order a copy through the Joint Services Transcript site at JST

It is STRONGLY recommended that students receiving VA benefits file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Once you have registered for classes:

  1. Enroll in MyPay MyWay. All students must either pay in full or set a payment plan.  Eligibility for VA benefits DOES NOT automatically make a student eligible for the delayed payment plan.   All Veterans with the exception of those using Chapters 33 (Post 9/11) and 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) must be Pell eligible or complete the student loan process to choose the deferred payment plan.
  2. Complete the Request for Certification form and submit online. To complete this form, you MUST know what Chapter of the GI Bill you are using.  Please be sure to indicate the semester for which you are requesting to be certified.

Please check your OTC e-mail frequently. OTC e-mail is the official method of contact used by the VA Certifying Official.

Contact information:

Dennis Peters- Veterans Student Service Representative
Office: 417-447-6968
Fax: 417-447-6925

Melissa Trader- Student Services Representative
Office: 417-447-6928
Fax: 417-447-6925

Brandon West – Veterans Student Service Assistant Representative (Work Study Student)
Office: 417-447-6968
Fax: 417-447-6925

NOTE: All documents may be submitted to the VA Certifying Official by any of the following methods:

Deposit Box: Located at the Front counter of Student Services (Springfield campus)


Fax: 417.447.6925

Ozarks Technical Community College
ATTN: Veterans Services
1001 E Chestnut Expressway
Springfield, MO 65802

Hand Delivered: Any Student Services location