Dependents Using Benefits for the First Time
Dependents Who Have Never Used VA Education Benefits
- Complete the admission process with OTC.
- Complete the appropriate process:
- If you are an eligible dependent of a veteran who was permanently and/or totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition, you will need to complete VA form 22-5490. This link will take you to the VA website and the VONAPP application system. You will be using Chapter 35. Be sure to select "submit" after you have completed your application.
- If you are an eligible dependent of a veteran who has transferred benefits from Chapter 33 (Post 9-11), the veteran must have completed VA form 22-1990E. This link will take you to the VA website and the VONAPP application system. You will be using Chapter 33. Be sure to select "submit" after you have completed your application.
It is STRONGLY recommended that students receiving VA benefits file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
After you register for classes:
- Enroll in MyPay MyWay by the appropriate payment deadline. Eligibility for VA benefits DOES NOT make a student eligible for the deferred payment plan (Option A). If you are Chapter 33 or 31 and want a deferred payment plan, you MUST complete a FAFSA. All other Chapters must be Pell eligible or complete the loan process for the deferred payment plan option.
- After you have registered for classes, complete the certification form and submit it to the OTC Certifying Official. To complete this form, you MUST know what Chapter of the GI Bill you are using.
- Chapter 35 students MUST include the veteran's VA file number.
- Chapter 33 students MUST indicate that they are using transfer of benefits.
Please check your OTC e-mail frequently. OTC e-mail is the official method of contact used by the VA Certifying Official.
NOTE: All documents may be submitted to the VA Certifying Official by any of the following methods:
Deposit Box: Located at the Front counter of Student Services (Springfield campus)
Ozarks Technical Community College
ATTN: Veterans Services
1001 E Chestnut Expressway
Springfield, MO 65802
Hand Delievered: any Student Services location