International Office FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)

International Students Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What do I need to do to become an international student at OTC?
All the information you need is on the international student services OTC website. If you provide me with your e-mail, I will send you that link. But FIRST, fill out the international student application (not the standard OTC application).

For general information, visit the requirements page. For more specific information, read the International Admissions Requirements: Fall 2015/Spring 2015 handout. The handout is available at the IPO and Student Services desk downstairs.

How much does it cost to be an international student at OTC?
The cost would be:

  • For the first year, tuition and fees must be paid in advance: $6,954  (30 credit hours);
  • Tuition and "common" fees: $210.80 per credit hour plus common fees ($21.00 per credit hour). Facilities and Infrastructure fees are $115 per year ($45 for Fall, $45 for Spring, and $25 for Summer).
  • The first year of medical insurance (mandatory) must also be paid in advance:
  • For students between the ages of 19 & 23: $720;
  • For students between the ages 24 & 29: $912;
  • Students already in the U.S. wishing to transfer to OTC are only required to pay one 12-credit-hour semester up front: $3,477.

What TOEFL score do you require for English language?
We require a TOEFL total score of 61. However:

  • We will also take an IELTS score of 5.0, or
  • If you are a transfer student and successfully (2.25 GPA or higher) completed 15 or more credit hours through another American college or university (MSU or Drury), or
  • Successfully completed ELI Level 4 at MSU, or
  • Have graduated from a U.S. high school on a J-1 visa.

I am an F-1 student at a local college. Can I sign up for Summer classes or take a few classes in Fall or Spring semester with OTC while I am at another school?
Yes, you may sign up for up to two classes over the summer and also in the Fall and Spring semesters. You need to do the following:

  1. Complete the regular OTC Admissions Application.
  2. Provide the IPO a copy of your current I-20 and your student visa, showing your current status with your college.
  3. Provide IPO a letter from current school stating you are in good academic standing.
  4. Provide IPO with official transcripts from current college, indicating a cumulative GPA of 2.25
  5. Know that you may only register for two courses each semester with OTC, and only one online course per semester for both schools.

I am an F-1 student at MSU/Drury, or another college. Can I transfer to OTC for an upcoming semester?
Yes you may, provided you meet our international student requirements.

  1. First, fill out an international student application (online or paper version)
  2. At the end of the current semester, did you have a 2.25 CUM GPA or higher? We will need a copy of your transcripts sent directly to us from your former institution.
  3. Are you still currently "in-status" at an institution of higher learning? (Request from them to bring or send a current I-20 and a copy of your visa.)
  4. You will need to pay your first semester of tuition and fees ($3,477) and medical insurance in advance.
  5. Ask the international office at your current institution to fill out our transfer form found on the prospective students page.

Do you have dormitories?
No, but there is affordable housing in Springfield. We have included links to house rental and apartment-finding agencies at the bottom of the prospective students page.