Fire Science Technology A.A.S. Degree
Fire Science Technology Program Overview
Career departments, volunteer departments, and departments with both career and volunteer firefighters combine to comprise approximately 100 fire departments throughout southwest Missouri. The Fire Science Technology program provides learning opportunities which introduce, develop and reinforce academic and occupational knowledge, skills and attitudes required for job acquisition, retention and advancement. Additionally, the program provides opportunities to retrain and upgrade present knowledge and skills. Career choices for Fire Science Technology students include the following: firefighter, fire inspector, fire instructor, and fire investigator. OTC graduates have obtained employment for fire departments in Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida and the US Forestry Service along with various military branches. OTC has developed procedures for evaluating past training experiences and certification; inquiries should be directed to the lead instructor or department chair. Students wishing to transfer to a four-year institution are strongly encouraged to seek the advice of the lead instructor or department chair of the FST program to determine courses appropriate for transfer.
Students in the Fire Science Technology A.A.S. Degree program will be able to:
- Successfully complete Missouri State and IFSAC certification as Firefighter level 1 and 2
- Identify the chemical characteristics and reactions related to the storage, transportation and handling of hazardous materials
- Obtain state and/or national licensing as an Emergency Medical Technician - Basic Level
- Be eligible to gain employment or eligibility for career advancement with area fire departments of fire related industries
- Organize fire prevention programs, conduct fire prevention inspections and identify fire hazards and causes
This program is accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC).
To access the 180-day follow-up graduate survey, please click here.
To access the College's assessment reports, please click here.