The Social Science/Education Division strives to provide students with accessible, high quality, and affordable technical and general education courses that are necessary for successful completion of the Associate of Arts Degree (A.A.), Associate of Applied Science Degree (A.A.S.), 43-Hour General Education Block Transfer, and Transfer Course Articulation Agreements. Success in the Social Sciences/Education Division requires the student to master the abilities of reading, writing, and thinking in a logical manner, which is crucial to attaining career opportunities and /or furthering a student's higher educational goals. The Social Sciences courses will help students master the following:
- Develop an understanding of themselves and the world around them through study of content and the processes used by historians and social and behavioral scientists to discover, describe, explain, and predict human behavior and social systems.
- Understand the diversities and complexities of the cultural and social world, past and present, and come to an informed sense of self and others. (Students must fulfill the state statute requirements for the United States and Missouri constitutions).
- Explain social institutions, structures, and processes across a range of historical periods and cultures.
- Develop and communicate hypothetical explanations for individual human behavior within the large-scale historical and social context.
- Draw on history and the social sciences to evaluate contemporary problems.
- Describe and analytically compare social, cultural, and historical settings and processes other than one's own.
- Describe and explain the constitutions of the United States and Missouri.
Social Sciences Courses
Social Sciences Faculty
|Kay Murnan, Department Chair||Susan Siemens, Lead Political Science Instructor|
|Jana Owen, Anthropology Instructor||Kay Murnan, Political Science Instructor|
|Cheryl Li, Geography Instructor||James Whitt, Political Science Instructor|
|Dr. Jessica Gerard, Lead History Instructor||Maryann Zihala, Political Science Instructor|
|Dr. Carol Curtis, History Instructor||Judi Brake, Instructor for Anthropology, Geography and Sociology|
|Shirey VanHook, History Instructor|