2015 Recipient - Jeff Schrag - Excellence in Business
Jeff Schrag, 48, was born in McPherson, Kan. and graduated from Kansas State University with a bachelor's degree in journalism and social science.
Jeff came to Springfield in 1995 after purchasing the Daily Events legal newspaper. In 2007, he purchased the Pioneer Formal Accessories Co. and is now the largest wholesaler of cufflinks in the United States. In 2011, he created Mother's Brewing Co., a craft beer company that distributes its products throughout the region and in several states. The company brews its products in the old Butternut Bread Co. facility at the corner of Grant Avenue and Walnut Street.
Jeff is also president of Bareham & Saunders LLC; principal, Squires Properties Inc., Foster-Keen Construction LLC, and CollinCo LLC.
He is the outgoing chairman of the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce Board and is a member of the Missouri Press Association, the Downtown Springfield Community Improvement District, the Springfield Business Development Corporation, the City of Springfield TIF Commission, the Missouri Small Brewer's Guild, the Brewer's Association Finance Committee, and the Community Foundation of the Ozarks Mission Related Investments Committee.
Excellence in Business Award
Recipients of the Excellence in Business Award are selected based on the following criteria: leader of an Ozarks regional business, entrepreneurial success, innovative business growth, ability to overcome challenges with integrity, supporter of educational development, customer-driven quality, and community achievement.
Previous Excellence in Business Award Recipients
- James B. AndersonJames B. Anderson is president of the Springfield, Missouri, Area Chamber of Commerce, a position he has held since 1988.
- Paul Sundy - Excellence in Business Paul Sundy started his entrepreneurial career in 2003 in downtown Springfield, and has opened and operated 16 different eating/drinking establishments over the last 10 years.
- Jack & Peter Herschend - Excellence in BusinessJack and Peter Herschend are co-founders and co-owners of Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation, formerly Silver Dollar City, Inc.
- Sam Hamra - Excellence in BusinessHamra practices law in Springfield, and serves as Chairman and CEO of Hamra Enterprises, and also operates businesses through SJH Inns, LP, and Jade Properties, LLC.
- Carol Jones - Excellence in BusinessJones founded Carol Jones Realtors. Over the years, Jones has served as a board member for a variety of organizations in the area.
- Bill Turner - Excellence in BusinessCurrently Chairman of the Board at Great Southern Bank, Turner served as the company's president and CEO for more than twenty years.
- Jack Stack - Excellence in BusinessFounder of SRC Holdings Corporation, a company now comprised of more than 35 separate businesses, Stack has been an industry leader in Springfield since the early 1980s.
- The O'Reilly Family - Excellence in BusinessO'Reilly Auto Parts opened its first store in Springfield in 1957, when Charles F. O'Reilly and his son, Charles H. (Chub) O'Reilly, left Link Motor Supply to open their own business.
- John Q. Hammons - Excellence in BusinessThe first-ever recipient of the Excellence in Business Award, Hammons is considered one of the nation's premier developers of upscale luxury hotels and resorts.