Student Advising & Registration (STAR)
Student Advising & Registration (STAR)
1. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PREPARE FOR MY STAR SEMINAR?
Complete the Pre-STAR Assignment, which consists of five important questions you should consider the answers to before attending your STAR Seminar.
2. WHAT WILL I BE DOING DURING MY STAR SEMINAR?
You will learn:
- What classes are needed for your program of study and the order to take them in.
- What your placement test scores mean.
- How to create your education plan.
- How to schedule and register for your classes.
You will also get your picture taken for your OTC SmartCard.
3. WHAT IF I AM UNDECIDED ON A COLLEGE MAJOR OR UNSURE OF A CAREER PATH?
When you arrive at your STAR Seminar, you will be asked which program of study you will be pursuing at OTC and then advised accordingly. If you are an undecided student, you should complete an online career assessment before scheduling your STAR seminar.
4. WHAT IF I'M A TRANSFER STUDENT OR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT TAKING DUAL CREDIT CLASSES AND MY FINAL GRADES ARE NOT POSTED? DO I STILL HAVE TO PROVIDE AN OFFICIAL COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT WITH "IN PROGRESS" GRADES IN ORDER TO REGISTER FOR STAR?
Yes, all official college transcripts must be on file and are used for advising purposes during STAR. Once final grades are posted, you will submit the updated official college transcript(s) for final evaluation by the Registar's Office.
5. DO I HAVE TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT FOR MY STAR SEMINAR?
Yes, appointments must be scheduled in advanced.
6. WHEN CAN I SCHEDULE MY STAR SEMINAR?
You can schedule your STAR seminar after the following admission steps have been completed:
- You have submitted an admission application to OTC.
- You have completed orientation.
- Your ACT scores have been received by OTC (if they are less than two years old) or you have taken the placement test.
- All official college transcripts have been received by OTC.
7. HOW DO I SCHEDULE MY STAR SEMINAR?
You can call to schedule your STAR Seminar for the summer and fall 2014 registration season beginning March 4. STAR Seminars will begin March 18. To schedule STAR for the Springfield campus, call 417-447-6944. To schedule STAR for the Richwood Valley campus, call 417-447-7727. To schedule STAR for the Lebanon Education Center, call 417-532-5044. To schedule STAR for the Table Rock Campus, call 417-336-6239.
8. WHERE WILL MY STAR SEMINAR TAKE PLACE?
STAR seminars are held in computer classrooms. After you schedule your appointment, you will receive an email confirmation with a campus map indicating the room location.
9. WHERE CAN I PARK ON CAMPUS?
Parking is open at OTC and you are welcome to park in any of our lots.
10. SHOULD I ARRIVE EARLY TO MY STAR SEMINAR FOR CHECK-IN?
YES! We ask that you arrive 15 minutes before the start of your STAR seminar to get checked in. Please allow extra time for parking and to locate the computer classroom. Your STAR seminar will promptly start on time. Latecomers will be asked to reschedule.
11. WHAT SHOULD I BRING WITH ME TO MY STAR SEMINAR?
Bring your photo ID (driver's license, etc) and know your social security number. We'll provide everything else.
12. HOW LONG WILL MY STAR SEMINAR LAST?
STAR seminars last approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes so please make arrangements accordingly.
13. CAN MY FAMILY/FRIENDS ACCOMPANY ME TO MY STAR SEMINAR?
Due to limited seating in computer classrooms, your family/friends/children will not be able to attend the STAR seminar with you. We apologize for an inconvenience this may cause.
14. WHAT ARE OTHER STUDENTS SAYING ABOUT THEIR STAR EXPERIENCE?
- "Today's session was a great way to secure myself in the environment. Coming to OTC today made me less insecure. The session made me more confident in my choice to attend OTC. The advisors were all nice, friendly, and helpful. I look forward to attending OTC in the upcoming fall."
- "Anytime I had a question, I never felt like I was interrupting. I didn't feel like any question was stupid. They were very friendly and helpful."
- "As a former student, I honestly didn't understand everything provided in AccessOTC. So, the seminar helped open resources to me this time around."
- "I didn't realize going to college was this in depth to get started. I would have been really lost if it wasn't for the STAR session."
- "In my opinion, the whole session was very very helpful. The presenters were extremely clear about how to navigate MyOTC. I feel confident that now I have a solid grasp of how OTC works and I am excited about the experience."
Questions? Feel free to contact us at 417-447-6944 for Springfield or 417-447-7727 for Richwood Valley.